Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Severe Flooding in SW MO

A severe flood event is underway here in SW Missouri. Water rescues are happening all around the region, at least 1 fatality has been reported today. I documented some of the flooding events around the Nixa, MO area this afternoon. I took video and still shots. The rain is STILL coming down. More than 6 inches of rain has fallen in about 24 hours in the area in which the images are from.

There are so many areas covered by flood waters in Christian county, they have run out of Road Closed signs and barricades. People, be careful out there. It's entirely possible, as you can see at the end of my video, to come across a flooded area with no barricades. From what I understand, they are feverishly working to get more barricades to block off these spots.

Be smart. Turn around, don't drown.


Here is a Google Maps layout of the locations documented in the video and stills.





Pictures of the James River at Highway 160 and AA just south of the Christian County and Green County lines.

Image from just north of the intersection of Farm Road 192 and 141.

Image from Tracker Road in Nixa, MO just west of Highway 160.


Image from the Riverdale area, West of Ozark, MO



-- KB0WVT

5 comments:

Luann Turner said...

Thank you so much for posting your unbelievable but very true photos & video. I had to pass over AA & 160 in Christian County on my way to work at about the time you were taking the photos. I just couldn't believe what I saw and sorely wished that I had a camera with me. I was so happy to stumble across your photos. All of them. Yours should be on the front page of the Newsleader and on the local news stations. Great documentation! And thanks for helping warn Missouri drivers to turn around, don't drown!

JMo said...

Thanks Luann! I happened to be off of work this week, so decided I would get out and document some of the things around Nixa. It's pretty surreal. One photo I wanted, but just didn't mess with was something I saw coming south on 160 an hour before I went out gathering images. Across from Carson's Nursery at the ball fields at James River Sports Complex, there appeared to be a submerged white stretched limo. There was no way I was going to get into that southbound traffic to get that pic, I just didn't want to waste daylight time waiting in that traffic.

Have a great week, and thanks for the comment.

Chris B. said...

Great shots man. Hope you all are okay down in Nixa.

JMo said...

Thanks Chris. We're fine. I feel for those who aren't. This kind of thing would really make people feel helpless. Most storms product damage in an instant and then it's gone. Something like this, sticking around for days, would just be sickening if it was destroying your property.

Jason said...

Wow...great pictures. Thanks man!